You can use this meatless “pate” as a dip with whole grain crackers or raw veggies. It’s perfect to bring to parties or to serve as healthy side dish at family dinners.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced (or 1 cup chopped onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound mushrooms, rinsed and chopped
1 cup toasted walnuts
¼ cup cider vinegar
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon turmeric
- Line 8”x4” loaf pan with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Place oil in skillet over medium heat. When hot, sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until soft (about 5-7 minutes).
- While these are cooking, place the walnuts in a blender or food processor and blend just until smooth. Add in the cooked mushrooms, vinegar and spices. Process until smooth.
- Scrape mixture into the prepared loaf pan, and press down firmly. Cover with the overlapped plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- For serving, transfer to a plate and offer whole grain crackers or raw vegetables for dipping/spreading.
Makes 12 servings.
Each ¼ cup serving contains:
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 1g
Trans fat 0g
Total carbohydrate 4g
Recipe adapted from Mushroom-Almond Pate recipe from Food and Nutrition Magazine.