This portobello mushroom sandwich is a satisfying, flavorful and healthy vegetarian option. It’s packed with flavor thanks to a mix of tangy, flavorful balsamic vinegar dressing, fresh basil and tomato, red onions and roasted red peppers. Enjoy it for lunch or dinner with a salad or soup.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Four 4- to 5-inch portobello mushrooms, stems removed
Olive oil cooking spray
4 thin slices red onion
8 thin slices whole-grain bread
4 thin slices low-fat Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
2 jarred roasted red peppers, drained and sliced (about 2 ounces)
4 slices tomato
4 fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 scallion, white part and 1 inch of the green, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Coat the mushrooms with cooking spray. Mix the vinaigrette ingredients and paint the mushrooms on both sides.
- Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Coat the marinated mushrooms and the onion slices with cooking spray. Roast them in the oven until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Coat the bread with the cooking spray and toast in a toaster oven.
- Place a slice of cheese on four of the pieces of toast. Top with a mushroom, slices of onion, red pepper, tomato, and a basil leaf.
- Mix balsamic mayonnaise ingredients together until completely blended. Spread a thin layer on each burger. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Toss gently to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to chill. Serve.
Nutritional information (Per serving)
Fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 3.5 g
Sodium: 470 mg
Protein: 19 g
Carbohydrate: 34 g
Sugars: 4 g
Dietary fiber: 6 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Potassium: 631 mg
Source: Cleveland Clinic Healthy Heart Lifestyle Guide and Cookbook (© 2007 Broadway Books) & Go! Foods® for You Program.
This recipe has been modified to meet Go! Foods® criteria.