Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Ingredients for ricotta “cheese”
2 cups raw cashews
1/4 cup of warm water
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
Ingredients for lasagna
1 small eggplant, very thinly sliced lengthwise
1 zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise
1 yellow summer squash, very thinly sliced lengthwise
1 bell pepper (any color), seeded and cut into large squares
1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups Ricotta “cheese”
1 large omega-3 egg, beaten
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Make the ricotta cheese: Soak the cashews in a bowl of hot water for at least 1 hour at room temperature or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Drain the cashews and place them in a food processor, along with the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and 1⁄4 cup of water. Process the ingredients until a smooth paste forms; you may need to add a bit more water, depending on how long you soaked the cashews.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, zucchini, summer squash and bell pepper with the oil and salt and toss well. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on two baking sheets and roast until they start to brown and caramelize around the edges, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the sheets half-way through the cooking time.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and set them aside to cool. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F. While the vegetables are cooling, whisk together the “cheese,” egg, oregano and black pepper in a medium bowl. Spread one-fourth of the mixture in the bottom of a 9-inch square glass baking dish, then spoon 1⁄2 cup of the crushed tomatoes on top. Cover the tomatoes with a layer of one of the types of vegetables. Continue to layer the remaining “cheese,” tomatoes and vegetables until everything is used up, topping off with the tomatoes.
- Bake the lasagna for 30 minutes. allow it to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Store any leftover “cheese” in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.