Spaghetti squash is a great option to satisfy cravings for pasta without sabotaging your health goals. This crunchy, pasta-like vegetable paired with spinach, tomatoes and pine nuts is a wonderful, comforting meal that is sure to please any crowd.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
1 large spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup pine nuts
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 pound grape tomatoes, halved
8 ounces baby spinach
10 fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush each half of the squash with 1 teaspoon of the oil and season generously with salt and black pepper. Place the squash, cut sides down, on a baking sheet and roast for 30 to 40 minutes. The squash is cooked when a knife easily pierces through the skin and flesh. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle, shred the flesh with a fork into spaghetti-like threads and set aside.
- Turn the oven up to 400°F.
- Spread the pine nuts on a small baking sheet and place them in the oven to toast until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes, checking often to prevent browning.
Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan, season to taste with salt and black pepper and cook until the tomatoes begin to burst, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the pan and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring until the spinach wilts, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide the spaghetti squash among 4 plates and top with the sautéed spinach and tomatoes. Sprinkle on the pine nuts and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Any leftovers can be covered in an air-tight container and refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Fat 17 g
Saturated fat 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Fiber 5 g
Protein 8 g
Carbohydrate 25 g
Sodium 128 mg