Burritos are good any time, and the kind filled up with eggs are perfect for breakfast. The eggs, veggies and whole wheat in this burrito give you a hearty breakfast that’s low in fat and high in protein. It’s a healthy, delicious dish that will keep you feeling full longer.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
16 ounces chili beans in spicy sauce, undrained
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
¼ cup salsa, preferably chipotle
3 large egg whites
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
4 large (10-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine beans, corn, and salsa.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- Beat together egg whites, eggs and sour cream.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat with cooking spray.
- Add egg mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally until eggs are set.
- Break into chunks and stir into bean mixture.
- Stack tortillas on a clean kitchen towel.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water over the top tortilla.
- Fold tortillas up in the towel. Heat in microwave oven until warm, 20 to 30 seconds. (Do not overwarm or the tortillas will be tough).
- Place tortillas on serving plates.
- Divide egg mixture over tortillas, and top with cilantro.
- Fold sides of tortillas over filling and roll up to form burrito.
Makes 4 servings
Each serving contains:
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Trans fat 0g
Total carbohydrate 47g
Dietary fiber 7g